Thanksgiving in Canada is coming up soon and what better way to celebrate than by making my Ultimate Thanksgiving Casserole. It's full of all the traditional Thanksgiving flavours, making it a shoo-in in at your next family gathering.
The Ultimate Thanksgiving Casserole
2 cups uncooked wild rice mix
2 cups diced sweet potato
2 cups diced potatoes or frozen hashbrowns
2 sticks of celery, chopped
2 large carrots, chopped
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup of brussels sprouts, bottoms chopped off
1 cup purple cabbage
2-3 tbsp olive oil
2 cups chopped mushrooms
1/2 cup vegan butter
4 tbsp all purpose flour
2 cups unsweetened almond milk (or other non dairy milk)
1 cup vegetable stock
fresh sage, rosemary and thyme (dried herbs are also fine)
salt & pepper to taste
1 cup medium bread cubes
1/2 cup butter, melted and seasoned with half a vegetable bouillon cube
1 tsp dried parsley
Prepare the filling
- Preheat oven to 450ºF
- Cook rice in vegetable according to packaging directions. Start cooking other ingredients while the rice is cooking.
- On a baking tray lined with foil, toss brussels sprouts in olive oil, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Bake at 450º F for 20 minutes, turning once. Once these are finished, remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the olive oil and begin cooking the sweet potatoes and hashbrowns. Fry for 4 minutes, then add the celery, carrots and onion and cook until the onions are translucent (6-8 more minutes). Toss in the purple cabbage and garlic at the last 2 minutes. Pour into a large mixing bowl and and set aside.
Create cream sauce
- In the same large skillet over medium-high heat - add 1/4 cup vegan butter and throw in the chopped mushrooms. Cook for 4 minutes.
- Turn heat to medium-low. Add another 1/4 cup of butter and slowly add each tbsp of flour, stirring constantly to ensure the flour gets dissolved.
- Whisk in 2 cups of non-dairy milk and 1 cup vegetable broth. Turn heat to low and continue to stir. Add the rest of the herbs and add salt and pepper to taste.
Combine everything together
- Roughly chop cooked brussels sprouts.
- In the large mixing bowl with the cooked potato mixture, toss in the chopped brussels sprouts and rice. Gently stir to combine.
- Next, pour the sauce over the mixture and stir to combine.
- Pour mixture into a large baking dish and spread out evenly.
Add Topping & Bake
- Sprinkle 1 cup of medium sized bread cubes over.
- Spoon our season butter mixture over top of bread cubes. Try not to soak them.
- Cover with foil and bake at 450º F for 15 minutes. Remove foil and bake for additional 15 minutes until golden brown.