Fall in love with this perfect combination of pumpkin and balsamic caramelized red onions. This makes for the perfect dip at your next family gathering. Enjoy!
Pumpkin Hummus with Balsamic Caramelized Red Onions
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
Extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp coconut sugar
pinch of ground sage
pinch of salt and pepper
1 - 15oz can pumpkin (approx. 1 1/2 cups)
1 - 15 oz can garbanzo beans
2 tbsp tahini
1-2 cloves of garlic
Juice from 1 large lemon
2-3 tsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp rosemary
1/8 tsp dried sage
salt & pepper to taste
Roast the red onions
- Preheat oven to 400° (use the roast setting if you have it, but not necessary).
- Line a baking tray with foil, this will make for an easier clean up!
- Place the onions on your baking sheet and season with sage, salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle coconut sugar over top.
- Roast for 18-20 minutes, tossing every 5 minutes. The sugar will make them burn faster, so watch closely.
- Let them cool for 10 minutes.
Make the Hummus
- In a food processor or blender, combine the rest of the ingredients including your cooled caramelized onions. Blitz until fully combined. This may take several minutes, depending on your processor/blender.
- Best severed chilled.
- Store in the fridge for up to 4 days.