Using leftovers... A few nights ago I made my Pumpkin Hummus. After taking some to work to share with colleagues, I still had quite a bit left over. I really wanted to use it up, so I decided to improvise and this creamy pasta sauce was the result. Remember, your leftovers can be used to make new and different kinds of dishes, it just takes a little creativity.
Creamy Pumpkin Pasta with Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Creamy Pumpkin Sauce
Left over batch of my Pumpkin Hummus - approx. 1 1/4 cups
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
1/2 cup vegetable broth - low sodium
1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked for 10 minutes
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp parsley
Pepper to taste
Pasta of choice
Roasted Brussels Sprouts (Optional, you may use whatever vegetables you have on hand)
heaping cup brussel sprouts, bottoms chopped off and sliced in half
Extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
- If you're roasting vegetables to add to the dish, pre-heat your oven to 400°.
- Line a baking tray with foil and toss vegetables in olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Roast for 12-16 minutes.
Prepare pasta and sauce
- Prepare and cook your pasta according to packaging directions
- In a high-speed blender add almond milk and drained cashews. Blend for 2-3 minutes until smooth, may take longer depending on your blender.
- Add the rest of the pumpkin sauce ingredients including the hummus. Blend until smooth.
- In a large skillet on medium-low, toss cooked pasta with sauce and let it cook for a few minutes to help thicken the sauce.
- Plate pasta and top with roasted vegetables.
- Serve immediately.