The Great Big Sandwich
There are a lot of things going on in this sandwich, like smoked organic tofu, sautéed balsamic red pepper and onions, fresh veggies, stacked between lightly toasted bread, covered in artichoke spinach hummus.
This sandwich is so delicious and super easy to make, plus it contains spinach, which if you didn't know, contains many great health benefits. Enjoy.
Smoked Tofu & Artichoke Spinach Sandwich
Ciabatta buns or favorite loaf of bread
1 package of organic smoked firm tofu, sliced 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick
1 red pepper, thinly sliced
1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
1-2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
your favorite store bought hummus (I used artichoke and spinach hummus)
handful of fresh greens
salt and pepper to taste
- Using a large sauce pan over medium heat, sauté the red pepper and onions for a few minutes until the onion starts to become translucent.
- Add the balsamic vinegar and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook for 1 more minute, then turn the the heat to low.
- Move the peppers and onions to one side of the pan and placed the sliced tofu on the other side. Cook on low for 3 minutes per side. Be careful not to overheat the tofu.
- While your tofu is heating, toast your bread.
Build your sammie
- Cover both sides of your toasted bread with the hummus.
- Next add your fresh greens, tofu, pepper and onion mixture, and top with your favorite veggies.
- Serve immediately.
Note - I recommend using ciabatta buns or any other crusty buns as it will help keep your sandwich together.