This classic French dish usually calls for an abundance of different types of meat, of course my version is plant based. It's a warm and comforting meal, full of seasonal vegetables and delicious smoked apple sage vegan sausage. Perfect for big gatherings!
Rustic Cassoulet with Smoked Apple Sage (vegan) Sausage
1 - 14g package of dried porcini mushrooms, soaked in 2 cups of hot water
4 cups - 1/2" cubed blonde peeled potatoes
3 cups - 1/2" cubed butternut squash
6 celery sticks - cut diagonally into bite sized pieces
2 large carrot sticks, cut diagonally into bite sized pieces
1 yellow onion - cut into large chunks
2 - 540ml canned Italian stewed tomatoes
2 - 540ml canned cannellini beans (white kidney beans)
1 package of Field Roast's Smoked Apple Sage Sausage
1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs
2 tbsp melted vegan butter
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp parsley
1/2 tsp garlic powder
salt & pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large deep fry pan heat a few swigs of olive oil and heat for a minute or two on high then lower to medium-high and add the potatoes and butternut squash. Season with salt and pepper and saute for 5 minutes and transfer into a large mixing bowl.
- Add bit more olive oil to the fry plan if needed and toss in the carrots, celery and onions and saute for 5 minutes. When they're done add them to the potato mixture.
- Lower the heat to med-low and toss in the stewed tomatoes, cannellini beans, porcini mushrooms and the 2 cups of liquid. Simmer for 10 minutes and then add in 1/2 cup of breadcrumbs. Simmer for 5 more minutes. The sauce should reduce and thicken a bit. Transfer into vegetable mixture and gently stir to combine.
- Diagonally sliced the sausages into bite size pieces and and fry for a few minutes to brown both sides.
- Pour the casserole filling into a lightly oiled large casserole dish. Fold in half the cooked sausage.
- In a small bowl, combine the melted butter, 1 cup of breadcrumbs, 1 tsp of thyme and parsley, and 1/2 tsp garlic powder.
- Evenly spread the crumb mixture on top of the casserole filling. Place the remaining sausage pieces on top.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until brown and crispy. Serve and enjoy!