A gorgeous medley of seasonal vegetables with spicy coconut curry.
Roasted Pumpkin Coconut Curry with Crispy Tofu
Roasted Pumpkin and Veggies
1 cup of thinly sliced pumpkin or butternut squash but into bite size pieces
Peanut or grapeseed oil
salt and pepper
4 sticks of celery, thinly sliced
1 red pepper, thinly sliced
1 cup of halved Brussels sprouts
1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
handful of green onions, chopped
1 cup of uncooked rice
1 1/2 cup vegetable stock
1 - 280g package of organic smoked tofu, cut into bite size chunks
Tapioca or corn starch
1/2 cup grapeseed oil
salt and pepper
Coconut Curry Sauce
400 ml canned coconut milk
2 tbsp red curry paste
2 tbsp cashew butter
juice from 1 lime
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
1/2 tsp garlic paste or minced garlic
1 tbsp freshly chopped cilantro - optional
1 tsp liquid aminos or soy sauce
Roast the pumpkin and start the rice
- Preheat the oven to 420 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and toss pumpkin/butternut squash with oil and lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until the pieces start to brown.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice in vegetable stock according to the rice packaging instructions.
Make the crispy tofu
- In a large deep fry pan add a 1/2 cup of oil and set the stove to high heat. Let it heat for 2 minutes. While the oil is heating up, toss the tofu chunks in tapioca starch, tap any excess off.
- Season with salt and pepper and gentle place pieces into the hot oil. Fry for 2-3 minutes then flip peices over to fry the other side. Be careful not to burn yourself! Fry until the tofu is golden brown and crispy. Set aside in a bowl.
Stir-fry the vegetables
- In a wok or large fry pan add a few glugs of peanut oil on high heat for a few minutes.
- Next add the chopped vegetables except the green onions. Lower the heat to med-high and sauté for 5-6 minutes or until the vegetables start to soften.
- In a bowl mix all the coconut curry sauce ingredients and whisk to combine. Add to the cooking vegetables. Cook for another 2 minutes.
- By now the pumpkin should be done. Toss the roasted pumpkin and crispy tofu into the wok, mix to combine and turn off the heat.
- Plate by spooning the rice onto a dish and top with the curry. Garnish with green onions.