Cozy up with this hearty bowl of creamy potato soup.
One of my favourite things to do when it's cold outside, is to put on a nice pot of soup. This morning when I woke up, it was snowing. Big and fluffy snowflakes were pouring from the sky and settling on the ground. As I stood there watching it snow, I immediately thought, I should make soup.
Creamy Potato Soup
4-5 yellow potatoes, peeled and cubbed
1/2 medium yellow or white onion
2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
2 leeks, chopped (the white ends only)
2 large stalks of celery, chopped
2-3 gloves of garlic, finely chopped
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
2 cups of water
2 vegetable bullion cubes disolved in 2 cups of warm water
1 cup non-dairy milk
2/3 tsp onion powder
2/3 tsp celery seed
2/3 tsp oregano flakes
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
salt & pepper to taste
- In a large pan over medium heat, pour in a bit of olive oil. After a minute toss in the onion, carrots and celery. Sauté for several minutes or until they start to soften.
- Add the chopped leeks and garlic and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Pour the cooked vegetables into a large soup pot and set aside.
- In the same large pan, add more olive oil and toss in the chopped potatoes. Cook for 6-8 minutes, or until they start to brown and crisp up. Add the red wine vinegar and let it cook off for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the potatoes to the soup pot and place pot over medium heat.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and stir to combine. Bring the soup to a slight boil, then reduce heat to simmer for 20 minutes. In the last 10 minutes, take 2/3 of the soup and pour into a blender. Blitz for a minute or until smooth. Add this back to the soup pot and continue to simmer for the remaining 10 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!