Smokey grilled vegetables served on a bed of turmeric rice, is a delicious combination and super easy to serve up!
BBQ Vegetable Bowl with Turmeric Rice
1 large sweet potato, cut into sliced a 1/4 inch thick
1 red pepper, cut into large chunks
1 zucchini, sliced
1 small head of cauliflower, cut into chunks
2 handful of fresh green beans
half a yellow onion, cut into large chunks
1 cup of brussels sprouts, halved
Grapeseed oil, or canola oil
Your favourite BBQ spice rub - I used Stubb's Beef Spice Rub (yes, it's vegan and delicious!)
Your favourite bottle of BBQ Sauce
1 cup of uncooked rice
1/2 - 1 tbsp minced turmeric root, or 2 tsp turmeric
pinch of salt
Greens of choice
Prepare the rice
- Prepare the rice according to packaging instructions.
- Add the turmeric, pinch of salt and cook.
- Once it's done, remove from the heat and set aside.
Grill the Vegetables
- You can use a large grill pan or a BBQ, it's up to you! If using a BBQ, use a tray or tinfoil on the grill.
- In a large bowl, toss all the vegetables with a few glugs of oil and desired amount of BBQ spice rub. I used about a 1/2 tbsp. Toss the bowl to coat evenly with oil and seasonings.
- Heat the grill on medium-high. When it's hot, lightly brush the pan or grill with oil.
- Grill vegetables for 4-5 minutes per side, or until they're fully cooked. (I had to grill half the vegetables at time to fit it on the grill pan.)
- This is optional step, but you can baste the cauliflower while its cooking with BBQ sauce. Cauliflower has a meaty-like texture, so the BBQ sauce sticks to it well. (When testing this recipe, I found that adding BBQ sauce to all the vegetables was overpowering.)
Build the bowl
- Using a large bowl or plate, line the bottom with your favourite greens.
- Spoon the turmeric rice on top and then add the BBQ vegetables. You can have this as is, or add addition toppings such as diced avocado or hot sauce, make it your own and enjoy.