Bite into this savory and sweet appetizer, perfect for your next event or gathering.
This yummy recipe was inspired by Cactus Club's flatbread appetizer. Of course my version is veganized, but it doesn't shy away from packing in the flavours. You definitely want to try this recipe, even with or without the fresh figs.
Vegan Fig and Caramelized Onion Flatbread
Flatbread and Toppings
flatbread of choice
half a red onion, thinly sliced
1-2 tbsp vegan butter or olive oil
handful of arugula
handful of cherry tomatoes, cut in half
2 fresh figs, sliced (optional, I know they can be hard to come by)
balsamic glaze (store bought or recipe)
Vegan Basil Pesto
1 cup fresh basil leaves
1/4 cup halved walnuts
1 tbsp vegan parmesan or nutritional yeast
1-2 cloves of garlic
1/4 cup + 1 tbsp olive oil
pinch of salt and pepper
Caramelize the onions
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit
- Start by heating a medium-sized pan on medium heat. Add the vegan butter or olive oil. Once the butter/oil is hot, add sliced onions.
- Caramelize the onions by letting them cook for at least 20-30 minutes. Stir occasionally and add water, or broth to keep them from sticking to the pan. Let the liquid cook in before adding more. Once the onions are done, turn off the heat.
Make the pesto
- While the onions are cooking, prepare the pesto if you're making it from scratch.
- Add all the pesto ingredients into a food processor and blitz until fully combined, about a minute or two. Add more oil if you want to thin it out. Set aside.
Make the flatbread
- Spoon a tbsp or more of pesto onto your flatbread, spreading it evenly across the top.
- Pop the flatbread into the oven for about 8-10 minutes. When it's done, bring out onto a cutting board or serving platter and have it near by ready to top.
- In the pan with the onions, add a quick swig of olive oil and throw in the arugula and sliced tomatoes. Toss to evenly coat and until the arugula has slightly wilted. No longer than 30 seconds.
- Spoon the toppings on to the flatbread and spread evenly across the top.
- Add the freshly sliced figs and drizzle with the balsamic glaze (or balsamic vinegar). Feel free to sprinkle with vegan parmesan. Serve immediately.