Try this non-traditional twist on a very Canadian dish. Fresh french fries topped with roasted jackfruit smothered in a buffalo ranch sauce and a creamy cheese sauce. Talk about a flavour bomb in your mouth! 100% plant based and 100% DELICIOUS!
Vegan Buffalo Ranch Chick'n Poutine with Jackfruit
A bag of frozen french fries - such as McCains Classic Fries
seasoning salt (optional)
Buffalo Chick'n aka Jackfruit
2 - 20 oz cans of jackfruit in brine
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
salt and pepper
1/4 cup vegan buffalo sauce (or mix hot sauce and vegan butter together)
Buffalo Ranch Sauce
1/2 cup vegan sour cream
1-2 tbsp hot sauce
2 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tbsp dill
1 tbsp chives
I used Hot for Food's Nacho Cheese Sauce - highly recommend!
Prepare the cheese sauce
- Make a batch of Hot for Food's cheese sauce. Set aside.
Prepare the jackfruit and fries
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Ensure you have two racks available for cooking.
- Drain and rinse jackfruit. Cut hard center points off and break up the chunks into a fry pan. The jackfruit should now resemble pulled apart chicken.
- Fry jackfruit in a lightly oiled pan on medium-high heat. Add the spices and cook for 3-4 minutes. Stir in the buffalo sauce and remove from heat.
- Place the jackruit in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with tinfoil.
- On another baking sheet, lay the frozen french fries in a single layer and top with a bit of seasoning salt (optional).
- Bake fries according to packing instructions on the bottom rack. In the last 15 minutes, pop the jackfruit in on the rack above to crisp them up a bit.
Buffalo Ranch sauce
- While the fries and jackfruit are in the oven prepare the buffalo ranch sauce.
- In a medium bowl, add all the ingredients and thoroughly combine. Add 1 tbsp of hot sauce first and taste test. If you want it hotter, add another tbsp.
Make your poutine!
- To make the poutine first place the fries on a large plate. Top with the jackfruit and smother with the cheese and buffalo sauce. Dig in and enjoy!