A hearty and satisfying dish that is sure to be a weeknight staple.
Vegetable Lentil Bolognese Spaghetti
Vegetable Lentil Bolognese
1 package of spaghetti
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 red onion, diced
1/4 cup of carrots, diced
1/4 cup of zucchini diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 - 398 ml can of Italian stewed tomatoes
1 can of lentils
1 - 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes
1 tsp basil
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
1/2 tsp sugar or another type of sweetener
salt and pepper to taste
slices of your favorite bread
dried parsley flakes
How to make vegetable lentil bolognese
- Cook pasta according to packaging instructions in salted water.
- While you wait for the water to boil, start the bolognese sauce.
- In a large deep fry pan over medium-high heat add oil and heat for a couple of minutes.
- Add the onion and carrots first and cook for four minutes. Next add the zucchini and cook for another two minutes. The vegetables should be nice a soft.
- Add the garlic and crushed tomatoes. Turn the heat to medium and let it cook until the liquid starts to reduce. About 6-8 minutes.
- Lower the heat to low and add the crushed tomatoes and spices. Stir to combine. Simmer for an additional 6 minutes or until the pasta is done.
- Serve the bolognese sauce over your cooked pasta. Enjoy with a few slices of garlic bread.
Quick and Easy Garlic Bread
- Butter your slices of bread on both sides.
- Lightly dust with seasonings.
- If eating right away, toast for four minutes or until bread starts to crisp.
- If packing bread for later, wrap slices in plastic wrap and toast when ready to consume.